The Virginia Council on Economic Education (VCEE) seeks an experienced and highly capable professional, based in Richmond, to lead its development efforts, reporting to the Executive Director. The Director of Development will be responsible for planning and directing the implementation of fundraising strategies for the organization, including: building and broadening the base of major donors; maintaining relationships with and soliciting gifts from corporate, foundation and individual donors; writing grant requests; stewardship activities; record keeping and reporting; and communications in support of fundraising efforts. The Director of Development is responsible for monitoring and reporting to the Executive Director and Board progress in meeting the organization’s annual fundraising targets.
VCEE is a nonprofit organization dedicated to educating Virginia’s K-12 students in economics and personal finance to help them succeed in today’s global economy. Working through its nine university-based Centers for Economic Education across Virginia, VCEE provides professional development for approximately 2,000 teachers annually and conducts various programs for students statewide, with more than 22,000 students participating each year. Established in 1970, VCEE serves as a vital resource to teachers for training and classroom resources pertaining to economics and personal finance, helping to ensure that Virginia’s students learn about economics and personal finance from a qualified teacher. With support from businesses, individuals, and foundations, as well as the Commonwealth and universities, VCEE is a strong advocate for including economic principles and personal finance in Virginia’s K-12 classrooms.
- Develop and execute an Annual Fund Development Plan to raise sufficient financial support from major donors, individuals, businesses, corporations and foundations to support the organization’s continued growth;
- Sustain donor relationships through regular contact and stewardship activities;
- Build relationships with major donors and potential donors with and on behalf of the Executive Director and Board, through visits, calls and other networking activities;
- Direct and execute major gifts, annual giving, grant writing and online giving strategies, including special events and donor appreciation events;
- Cultivate new contacts statewide to expand the donor base and increase contributions;
- Monitor and report to Executive Director and the Board on progress made in achieving specific targets established for each category in the Development Plan;
- In collaboration with the Director of Communications, direct the organization’s marketing efforts and coordinate fund-raising related communications and public relations activities;
- Manage fundraising efforts effectively through the use of donor management software (Donor Perfect) and close working relationships with the Executive Director and staff.
Reports To: Executive Director
Supervisory Responsibilities: May supervise development volunteers.
Experience Required: Minimum of 10 years of fundraising experience in nonprofit organizations, foundations or educational institutions, with demonstrated success in attracting major gifts and attaining annual fundraising goals to support a significant percentage of a $1 million budget; achievement of measurable annual increases in donations and new donors.
Education: Bachelor’s degree; CFRE (Certified Fund Raising Executive) highly desirable.
Skills/Abilities: Ability to work effectively with Board leaders, corporate, foundation and major donors; excellent oral and written communications; history of collaboration with other professionals; strong attention to detail; a high level of initiative and energy; and a sense of humor.
Other: Must be able to travel to attend events, some of which are in the evening, and to visit donors and potential donors, or community leaders.
Compensation: $70,000-$90,000, commensurate with experience and capabilities.
To Apply: For consideration, please send a cover letter, resume, and two references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate “VCEE Director of Development” in the subject line.