Case Study Information
Due to school closings, the in-person state championship competition has been cancelled. The Virginia Champion will be determined by the top team score in the Online Challenge.
Click to download:
- 2020 Case Study
- 2020 Case Study Financial Statements
- 2020 Personal Finance Rubric
- 2020 Teacher Guidelines
Top-scoring student teams in the online Personal Finance Division of the Governor’s Challenge will be invited to submit their case study online by April 3, 2020, by 3:00 PM. Those who accept must:
- Provide a written report in any format they believe appropriate that addresses the issues/questions raised in the attached Case Study and accompanying financial statements. The report should set forth their recommendations and include any assumptions and calculations they believe would be helpful for the judges. [Note: Three to four students per team. Substitutions for good cause are allowed.]
- Submit the report by Friday, April 3rd at 3:00 PM. The report cover should include names of the student financial planning team, and name of sponsoring teacher, school and school division. E-mail the report to email@example.com. You will receive notification of receipt by return e-mail. MAXIMUM page limit: the report with recommendations may not exceed 10 pages, not including cover page, responses to the questions, and the financial statements. An appendix may also be added with any supporting documentation and calculations if deemed appropriate.
- The top-scoring team from Virginia’s online competition and submission of the case study will move to the National Competition.
For all high school students:
Regardless of whether you are able to participate in the Governor’s Challenge, we hope you will review the issues raised in the case study and consider what advice you would suggest. Doing so will provide a good opportunity to apply many of the personal finance concepts and knowledge that will be valuable throughout your life. Below are earlier Case Studies. They also provide a good opportunity to exercise your financial knowledge.
2019 Personal Finance Case Study
2019 Case Study Financial Statements
2019 Rubric for Judging
2018 Personal Finance Case Study
2018 Case Study Financial Statements
2018 RUBRIC FOR JUDGING
2017 Personal Finance Case Study
2017 Case Study Financial Statements
2017 Personal Finance Rubric
2016 Personal Finance Case Study
2016 Personal Finance Case Study – Budget and Balance Sheet
2015 Personal Finance Case Study
2015 Personal Finance Case Study – Budget and Balance Sheet
2014 Personal Finance Case Study
2014 Personal Finance Case Study – Budget and Balance Sheet
2013 Personal Finance Case Study
2013 Personal Finance Case Study – Budget and Balance Sheet