Christopher Newport University Center for Economic Education
May 05, 2023
One Day Conference, In-Person
The Woodlands Conference Center
159 Visitor Center Drive
Williamsburg, VA 23185
Grade Level: High School, Middle School
Potential Recertification Credits: 6
Join us in Williamsburg at The Woodlands Conference Center to be the first teachers in Virginia to attend a workshop led by textbook authors Scott Niederjohn, Mark Schug, and William Wood. These experienced speakers will introduce you to their new supplemental textbook Economic Episodes in Civics and American Government. This book infuses the economic way of thinking into Civics and American Government courses. Chapters include content on the economics of the Constitution as well the economic roles of Congress, the President, the Supreme Court, and much more.
The same author team will also introduce you to their companion book Economic Episodes in American History. It infuses the economic way of thinking into American History. Chapters include content on the economics of the original thirteen colonies, the American Revolution, slavery, Great Depression, civil rights, and much more
Each Teacher who Attends Will Receive:
- A classroom set of Economic Episodes in Civics and American Government
- A classroom set of Economic Episodes in American History
- An Honorarium of $100 via Visa Prepaid Card
$100 Payable to School Division to Defray the Cost of a Substitute Teacher
- Teachers will gain confidence in their understanding of basic economic principles.
- Teachers will understand how the economic way of thinking provides a new and sometimes unexpected perspective on common topics in civics, American government, and American history.
- Teachers will acquire a classroom set of each book that so they can easily share their knowledge directly with their students.
- Teachers will receive all of the workshop handouts and Power Point slides for their own use.
- Teachers will learn about other, non-textbook related resources.
- Teachers will receive a teacher edition for each book that has additional classroom activities as well as sample test questions for all chapters.
- All materials used in the workshop align with Virginia’s History and Social Science Standards.
Fee: NO CHARGE
Instructor: Dr. Scott Niederjohn, Dr. Mark C. Schug, and Dr. William C. Wood
O. Kate Scott, VCEE Vice-President of Programs
Center for Economic Education
Christopher Newport University
Register for Economic Episodes in American History, Government, & Civics: One-Day In-Person Conference
Registration is closed for this workshop.
By registering for this workshop, I agree to allow photography to be taken during the program and used by VCEE or affiliated Centers in their print materials or electronic images.