George Mason University Center for Economic Education
May 27, 2020
4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Grade Level: High School, Middle School
Potential Recertification Credits: 3 recertification credits contingent on the completion of both the synchronous and asynchronous components.
This now-virtual event and its accompanying materials are being made available through the generous support of the Peter G. Peterson Foundation and the Council for Economic Education. Registration is free and open to all K-12 educators. In addition to curricular resources, each participant who completes both the one-hour asynchronous and two-hour synchronous components of the program will receive a certificate for 3 recertification hours.
The issues surrounding the federal budget, national debt, and budget deficit are complex, but not beyond the reach of middle and high school students. Understanding Fiscal Responsibility presents a set of lessons which uses essential dilemmas to help students focus on current fiscal issues such as the national debt, budget deficit, national security, Social Security, and current national policy issues.
This program will feature:
- A cost/benefit breakdown of Medicare For All by JMU Economics Department Head William C. Wood.
- A session featuring Delegate Chris Runion discussing the election process.
- Online interactive simulations you can use to discuss the federal budget, Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid.
- Teachers will gain access to a lesson discussing how previous recessions have impacted presidential elections.
- AND we will cover an activity you can use with your students to predict the winner of the 2020 presidential election. This activity uses an economic method that has proven remarkably accurate.
Fee: NO CHARGE
Instructor: O. Kate Scott, GMU CEE Associate Director; & John Kruggel, JMU CEE Associate Director
O. Kate Scott, Associate Director
Center for Economic Education
George Mason University
Register for Understanding Fiscal Responsibility (and Elections!)
Registration is closed for this workshop.
By registering for this workshop, I agree to allow photography to be taken during the program and used by VCEE or affiliated Centers in their print materials or electronic images.