In partnership with the Virginia Council on Economic Education (VCEE), Virginia529 delivers Reading Makes Cents — a statewide reading challenge for all elementary schools designed to introduce basic financial concepts to K-5 students. Click here for a printable PDF flyer about Reading Makes Cents.
All Virginia elementary school librarians are invited to complete a simple application in order to bring Reading Makes Cents to your school courtesy of Virginia529. Please visit www.ReadingMakesCents.com to learn more and sign up.
Each year the Virginia Council on Economic Education provides comprehensive online resources customized to the three featured books in order to help solidify the concepts and further engage students.
- Click here for the 2019-20 lesson plans and activities.
- Click here for the 2018-19 lesson plans and activities.
- Click here for the 2017-18 lesson plans and activities.
- Click here for the 2016-17 lesson plans and activities.
Reading Makes Cents is a financial literacy reading program, available to K-5 students, librarians, and parents across the state of Virginia. The objective is to help students understand and apply the following Virginia History and Social Science Standards of Learning:
- Saving and the importance of budgeting money to buy things in the future
- People make choices because they cannot have everything they want and all choices have an opportunity cost (the second choice given up when making a choice)
- Investing in your human capital (a person’s specific knowledge and skills)
- People work at jobs to earn money
Click here to go directly to the online registration form for Virginia elementary school librarians.
Click here to view, share or download a promotional flyer about Reading Makes Cent$
Click here for a printable PDF of the student reading log form.
Click here for a printable PDF one-page of our suggested financial literacy reading list for elementary school students.
Click here to view our free teacher resources, including lesson plans and discussion questions, for our 2019-2020 book selections.
Special thanks to the Virginia Association of School Librarians for valuable input in shaping this program.