- Stock Market Game Registration Step by Step (PDF)
- Stock Market Game Twelve Step Guide (PDF)
- Detailed Troubleshooting Guide (PDF)
- After the Bell…Before the Curtain: (A play) Review terms and concepts from SMG. Winning is not the most important part of the simulation.
- Black Thursday…Will History Repeat Itself?: Use current conditions to research and highlight the crash that precipitated the Great Depression.
- Chocolate Charts: Team will develop charts and graphs based on portfolio.
- How do I Make a Million Dollars That Is: Questions to help develop math calculations, matrices, graphs, charts, spreadsheets, averages, and percentages.
- How To Choose a Stock: Lesson 14, from Learning from the Market
- SMG Power Point Project Portfolio: Team will develop a presentation based on portfolio
- Stock Market Savvy: Investing for your future. Designed for middle school and high school students, this program contains eight activities that introduce students to the financial world of long-term savings and investment in stocks.
Integration Across the Curriculum & Support of Multiple Standards of Learning
- SMG Teacher Support Center – a video on the information and lessons available to teachers on the SMG website
- Enter a Trade – a video demonstrating how to make transactions on SMG
- Rules of the Stock Market Game Video:
Handouts for Students
- Trading the SMG Way – handout on making stock transactions on SMG
- SMG Stock Research Worksheet
- Interpreting Stock Quote – glossary of terms involved in a stock quote
- Bonds the SMG Way – step by step instructions for buying bonds in the SMG portfolio
- When You Sell Short – the reasoning being selling short and examples of the math involved
- Your SMG Margin
- Meet Your Margin– explains what buying on the margin means and what different stock purchasing options are for investors
- The Equity Rule – explains the Maximum Percent Equity rule, in place for SMG participants in order to encourage participants to diversify their portfolios.
More Resources for Teachers
- The Stock Market – newspaper-based activities for teachers introducing their students to the stock market and investing
- American Alphabet Cody – corporate trademarks/logos for students to identify
- Anatomy of an SMG Trade – helpful timeline information
- Understanding Mutual Funds – 50-page booklet on mutual funds
- List of Publicly Traded Companies with Virginia Headquarters – these companies trade on a variety of exchanges; therefore some may not be available for purchase in The Stock Market Game
- Sample Letter to Parents – sample letter to introduce SMG to parents/guardians and how they can reinforce and encourage student learning
- SMG Participation Certificate – downloadable certificate for student participants
- American Stock Exchange
- CBS Market Watch
- EDGAR Database of Corporate Information
- Hoover’s Online: Have the product and do not know the parent corporation? (type in name of the product after “for”)
- ICI: Mutual funds
- Investor Protection Trust The Basics of Saving and Investing: Investor Education 2020 guide is an investor education and protection teaching guide developed for high school teachers
- Learning Earning and Investing: the latest lesson plans developed by the Council on Economic Education. Some topics include: savings accounts, mutual funds, how to buy and sell stocks
- Moody’s Investor’s Service: Moody’s Investors Service – ratings, research and data
- Motley Fool
- My Money – Federal Government’s website dedicated to helping Americans understand more about their money: how to save, invest and manage it to meet your personal goals
- Nasdaq Stock Market
- New York Stock Exchange
- The Young Investor Web site
- Yahoo: Finance